The beginnings of our company are intertwined with the open source movement, which spurred the creation of Nagios Core. Nagios Core is open source IT monitoring software that was and continues to be highly awarded and downloaded by millions of users, including some of the largest corporations and foreign governments on the planet. It was the de facto standard in infrastructure monitoring.
Nagios Core told users whether a device was up or down. But as the world evolved and IT infrastructure monitoring became more complex, our Nagios community needed more: More insight, more reporting features, a fast and intuitive interface, and more ways to compare and dig deep into the data. The result was Nagios XI. Using Core as a fundamental component, XI was built to provide…
- Faster capabilities
- Easier user experience through built in configuration wizards and monitoring guides
- Data visualization
- A built-in graphical user interface that make it significantly easier to manage than Nagios Core
- Formal support offerings that brought users into compliance with industry and government regulations
- The tools and functionality for users to discover the reasons and the why behind their monitoring data
- Easier scalability for larger distributed networks
- Additional security measures (multi-tenancy and built in AD/LDAP integrations)
Who should use Nagios Core and Nagios XI?
Nagios Enterprises continues to offer both Core and XI, but to very difference customers.
Nagios Core users are often the IT hobbyist, IT DIYer or a system admin who has the time to create their own monitoring solution. Because the software was simply built to alert on whether a system was up or down, any other use of Core must be created manually.
Nagios Core is perfect for…
- System admins who can spend a large amount of time working in the command line and manually coding tasks.
- Admins who only want to know if something on their network or in their IT infrastructure is up or down.
- Students who are learning flat text commands and code.
- Hobbyists who want to monitor their home.
- IT DIYers who monitor small or less complex business networks.
Nagios XI was built to be an effective solution on Day One. With graphs and reports, customizable dashboards, an integrated database, backend API, multi-tenancy, wizards and more, Nagios XI far exceeds anything Core can do in terms of usability and speed. Nagios XI empowers system admins to work faster and smarter with a complete monitoring, alerting, graphing and reporting solution.
Nagios XI is perfect for…
- Any organization, from small nonprofits to large corporations, that experience change and growth.
- Organizations that want to hit the ground running with a fully built-out monitoring solution, rather than a basic solution that requires significant manual effort to fit their needs.
- IT teams with various levels of experience.
- IT teams that need to dig into the root cause of a problem and find exactly what’s happening and why.
- Organizations with a need and desire to better understand their IT infrastructure to make more intelligent business decisions.
- Organizations with continuously changing IT landscapes that need a solution that can monitor virtually anything.
Already using Nagios Core? Moving to Nagios XI is easy and automated with version 5.8!
Whether you’re making a complete switch to Nagios XI or you’re folding Core instances into XI, we’ve made migration easier than ever with Nagios XI version 5.8. Migrate nearly all of your data with just a few clicks!
- Import host and service configuration files
- Import notification preferences and settings
- Import host and service groups
- The Nagios Support Team is on hand to assist; our full support offerings are included in a free Nagios XI trial
Nagios Core is like getting a really good combustion engine and a lot of spare parts to build your own car. It’s cheap to build, but it’ll take a lot of time. Anyone else who drives the car will need to know exactly how you put it together and will only drive it on specific roads and in specific weather conditions.
Nagios XI is like being handed a fully assembled electric sports car that anyone can learn to drive in any weather condition and on any road in the world.
Top Benefits Comparison: Nagios XI vs Nagios Core
With the move from Nagios Core to the more intuitive Nagios XI, a sys admin handed off configuration duties to a less experienced admin. This saved the admin eight hours a week that he now puts toward more high-level tasks.